Safety Guardrail Systems
Safety Railings are an effective safety solution for those times when fall hazards and dangerous work areas cannot be eliminated. When used for fall protection a standard railing consists of a top rail, mid rail and posts. Important OSHA requirements for fall protection railings include:
- The upper surface of the top rail should have a 42 inches nominal height from the floor
- The top rail must be at least 1/4 inch thick to prevent cuts and lacerations
- There can be no opening beneath the top rail that would allow a 19 inches or larger spherical object to pass thru. The mid rail is usually of appropriate size and location to satisfy this requirement.
- The top rail must withstand at least 200 lbs of force; the mid rail must withstand 150 pounds of force.
- The system must be smooth enough to protect workers from cuts and getting their clothes snagged by the rail
A toeboard is a vertical barrier at floor level erected along exposed edges of a work platform. Toeboards are required when items falling through the opening below the mid rail and the floor create a hazardous condition. Requirements for toeboards include:
- Must be 4 inches in vertical height from its top edge to the level of the floor.
- Must have no more than 1/4 inch clearance above the floor level
- Must be constructed of substantial material – either solid or with openings of 1 inch or less.
Our portable rail systems have built in toeboard receptacles for added jobsite versatility.
Safety Equipment Solutions provides safety guardrail systems and forklift work platform to Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Tennessee, Nebraska, Kentucky, Iowa, and Oklahoma.